Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Garlic Kills Caterpillers! Who Knew?

Last night I opened a large bag of packaged muesli, produced in Russia. Excited to fish out some dried fruit for a pre-dinner snack, I munched on a dried banana until I found a hatching caterpillar! Who puts hatching caterpillars in their muesli—honestly?! I was immediately grossed out, but more so, disappointed that my 100 Som purchase and breakfast plan for several weeks was caterpillar infested. If I were still living in Portland or Northfield I would have gone back to the store, exchanged a bag and complained, or simply thrown away the contents… Though in Karakol, I was not about to waste some delicious looking muesli and 100 Som of my precious living allowance.

I called the medical officer to make sure I didn’t already have worms growing inside of me, and that if I cooked the muesli, could I still eat it? She asked if I had any garlic. Well, yes, I do I said.

One head of garlic in a sealed muesli container, and I’m set for my next caterpillar free breakfast! I wonder if I still have to cook it… I’m just glad there weren’t any spiders inside, because that shit would have been out the door before it ever entered.

2 comments:

  1. Здравствуйте, я хотел бы посетить мой блог, пожалуйста. www.polepositionforceindia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cameron,

    I'm very sorry to bother you. I work for Peace One Day:

    www.peaceoneday.org

    We aim to manifest soccer matches in all 192 UN member states for International Peace Day 2009.

    If you would like to partake, or know anyone in Kyrgyzstan who might, I would deeply appreciate you contacting me, as it is tough making contacts in Kyrgyzstan!

    Email: web@peaceoneday.org.

    Thank you so much!

    In Peace,
    Alexander 'One Day One Goal' Project Coordinator

    ReplyDelete