Monday, January 26, 2009

Madrid

I arrived in Madrid almost gitty to see John, Mollie, and Alex. I took a bus to their arrival terminal expecting them to be waiting on their bags outside of customs. Turned out I had to wait a few hours more, during which time it was clear to me that my Spanish comprehension was fine, but speaking back was quite the opposite.

With the assistance of a pedestrian’s GPS phone, we found our apartment and crashed for a much needed nap. Took me about 70 hours or so to get from Karakol to Madrid.

Nightlife, tapas, jamon, good cheese, Europeans, relative warmth and the company of my good friends—vacation is a wonderful thing. I had been to Madrid once before with an older host sister when I was 16, but we mainly went to Warner Bros. Madrid and the movies. This time I was able to appreciate the beautiful architecture of the city with more freedom to explore.

Some highlights of Madrid:

-Rembrandt and the Prado
-The Bank of Spain
-Dancing at a “mixed” night club/bar
-Churros and chocolate, mostly the chocolate
-Dunkin’ Donuts
-El Corte Ingles

No comments:

Post a Comment